Monday, September 06, 2004

Doorbells and Dangers

Ok... so, on Sunday, it had been a hectic weekend so far... broken water pipe, unplanned meeting with a client, errands (complicated by an unforseen shortage in hardwood floor wax) behind me... and I settle in to work on a 'moonlight' project that I had committed for completion by Tuesday morning.

And about 10:00pm, the door bell rings. The dog runs, barking ferociously, to the front door. I can't follow her, because (1) who in the right and honorable world would ring my door that late without calling first, (2) the lights are on and the dog will separate the blinds and "expose" me, and (3) I watch entirely too much crime tv.

Once the "ringer" has left, and the dog is quieted, I manage to peer out of the shutters to see my "directly across the street neighbor and nicest guy in the world"... standing at the end of his driveway.

Relieved, for the briefest of moments, I head out the front door... realizing he's in need, and hoping I can help HIM (for once). He looks a little lost, and tells me that he was down the street at a birthday party with his girlfriend, and... with both his porch and house lights on, his truck was stolen.

Did I hear anything? Yes, I did... less than thirty minutes earlier. But, I thought it was either him leaving, or someone from the party (going on) a few doors down.

Bless his heart. He's such a hard worker, all-around good guy and neighbor. He's young, owns his own business, and is always eager and available to help me and anyone else who's in need. Who would have thought that this could happen with all of the lights on???

I'm sad to say that there's an immediate supsect... a local (good gone bad) kid who's been caught demaging, destroying and stealing property over the course of the last year. The police have, twice, been at his house this week.

I'm both thankful that I pull my car into the garage at night, and fearful that burglars might think I"m not at home. I have a security system, a big dog, and a loaded gun... but it might be time for an upgrade...

No comments: